Skip to main content

"What's that?" and "Whyeeee?"



It has started.
Not the "Why?" yet, but the "What's that?" and "Who's that?"
And I know she isn't the only one, as lots of her peers' parents look just as exasperated as I am.

Every single book we read at the moment (we have to have three before bed, then have two "made up" stories, always!) ANYWAY, Every single book we read involves the Daph pointing at each character or thing and asking "Whoo dat?"

Even when we have read this book FIVE MILLION TIMES and she KNOWS everything about ALL of it. I've taken to giving silly answers, just to prove to her that she knows, e.g.

"Who Dat?"
"It's a spotty unicorn with a swimming costume on"
"No, mummy, it's a lion."
"Oh yeh."

"Who dat?"
"It's your Dad"
"Ha. No Mummy, it's a hairy monkey"
"titter"

So, I do that naughty thing of using sarcasm with my child, which you're not supposed to do (according to years of teacher training- which is hilarious as teachers are the most sarcastic bastards in the universe) and what's more, if I didn't, I WOULD DIE of exasperation.

BUT, it occurred to me the other day that she is doing to us exactly what we have been doing to her for most of her life. (not a major revelation I realise, I'm just not the fastest tool in the box, or whatever you say...)
From the moment she could utter "Makka Pakka" (I think that was her first word, is it bad that I don't remember?) we were pushing the toy in her face and squealing whenever we saw the TV character on products in a shop, saying
"What's that Daphne? Look! Who's that?" Three times of her saying it were barely enough, we had to get her saying it so that passers-by could hear just how damn intelligent she was, and she had to repeat it to every visiting relative and each medical professional we came into contact with.

"What is it Daphne?"
"Can you say it?"
"Who is this? You know!"

And the poor flipping kid got this for almost every word she subsequently learnt. Agh.
Constant testing, isn't it really?
And sometimes she even fought back, it went a bit like this:

Me: "Hey Daphne, show Aunty DooDah your new song!"

Daph: FROWN

Me: "Do you remember? Twinkle..."

Daph: "No Mummy" CROSS FROWN.

And, whenever we read books to her, we ask her questions about the pictures. We are not content with her merely enjoying the book, WE MUST TEST HER COMPREHENSION. "What colour is the monkey's banana, Daphne?" "and is the monkey happy or sad, Daphne?" GOD!

SO. Now she knows all of these words, and she understands how to ask questions, she's doing it back! "Who dat, mummy?"  And as frustrating as it is, the part of me which knows WE DID THIS TO HER also knows I have to put up with it, and answer EVERY DAMN TIME.

I am also realising that from now on, I need to be much more careful about how I use language. I'm reading "French Children Don't Throw Food" at the moment, and it's pretty good, taken with a pinch of salt- as anything regarding parenting probably should be- and some of the descriptions in it are hilarious. She describes an American parent, I think, taking their kid to the park and doing that cringey thing where they talk through everything the child is doing, "you're climbing! Wow, great sliding!" etc, Oh god, we've all seen it (and possibly done it) and the author argues that it's just a bit pointless.  Time at the park is for THEM to piss off and explore (ok, maybe that's my words...) by themselves, or with other kids. They don't need a commentary.

Which, in my book, means that WE can sit at the side and smoke a fag (ok maybe not) or talk to a friend or simply daydream about sharing a jacuzzi with Ryan Gosling....

And when we ARE talking to kids, we don't have to treat them like morons, they are just mini-humans, and they don't like repeating themselves any more than we do!

 (disclaimer: except they do sometimes, like when it's a word like poopoo or nipple- DOH)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Liebster Award!

    The Liebster Award is for bloggers with fewer than 300 followers. A blogger nominates 11 fellow bloggers and asks them a set of 11 questions. The rules state that a nominee must link back to the blogger from whom they received a nomination. The nominee will write 11 random facts about themselves and then answer the 11 questions which have been set for them. They in turn will nominate another 11 bloggers and pose 11 questions to them. This is a really fun way to discover and connect with new bloggers and help us all gain some new followers along the way.   Lovely Hannah from Make, Do and Push has nominated me as one of her bloggers so I will do my best! Thanks Hannah! If you like crafting, and a slice of positivity to balance out the cynicism you hear from me (!) you should check out her blog. She is up to wedding planning too so is bound to have lots of ideas up her sleeve! OK, first of all, 11 random facts about me! Crikey that seems a lot! 1. I used to deliver mil

Now we are Five, and going to school!

I have no excuses, my blogging has totally dried up. I kept thinking of LOADS of ideas for blog posts, but didn't want to write because either nobody would read them, or because there are already a ton of "mummy bloggers" already doing it. Well, SCREW that. I love writing and talking shit, so I need to get it out, regardless! SO... Time has gone by and this little dumpling: has grown sooooooo much into this rather smart schoolgirl: And I'm sure I'm the same as every mother in that looking at those two photos makes me want to cry! She is a completely different person! Oh how I miss those chubby little cheeks and huge eyes! It seems like a world away, and also only yesterday. School has brought with it a whole new set of worries, achievements and well, confusion. I thought I'd know it all as a teacher, but nothing prepares you for THE OTHER SIDE.  When I was teaching and parents dropped their kids off at school and insi

Panda cardigan! Toddler jumper refashion

My little girl is nuts about most animals, but at the moment she is quite keen on pandas. It's bound to change by tomorrow. But she had an old black jumper which just seemed to be just waiting for a funeral, so it made me sad, and I had to turn it into something else... Here it is before.... Funeral anyone? OK, so I cut up the front to make it into a cardigan... I love this part - snip! Then stitched on some white lace (sticking with the black and white theme see...) and attached a big black button and popper on the back. Can I just say I did this in about 10 minutes so it's not my finest work! You've got to make sure the stitching catches all of the fiddly jumper edge so that it doesn't fray. OK, so that was the front. And I decided because it was a v-neck, the panda would have to go on the back as there was more space. Sooooo, then I cut some panda face shapes out of t-shirt material and stuck them on the back with bonda/wunda webby stuff. You COU