Skip to main content

Dya wanna be in my gang?


Everyone knows they’re part of a gang. But the gangs shift. A LOT.
I was in the “loads of friends, pretty, clever, healthy, happy” gang. Then I was in the “alcoholic father” gang. Then the “cheated on” gang. Then the “dead dad” gang. Then the “married” gang, and then the “baby” gang, and I’m now graduating from the “traumatic birth” gang into the “only one child gang”.  Bear with me, I’m not being depressing! I hope…

I’m also realising that you’re always in a gang, and it’s a gang of one. There is no way that anyone can be in exactly the same boat as you. No one is better off than you, and no one is worse off. We’re all just us, right? Some things can’t even be directly compared.

I have no doubt that for lots of girls in particular, while you’re single it’s an eternal quest for the perfect man, and then you have to get a ring, and then you have to get a baby, then another baby. Then you want a nicer house, a bigger kitchen. A dog? Then you retire. Then…? But it NEVER works like that, and  if it does, do you think you will be happy? 

More likely, things will get in the way. Someone will hurt you.  You might think marriage is stupid. You might get ill. Someone will die. You might never find “the one”.  People  will lie to you. Things will go wrong. You might win the lottery, it might be shit. 

But everyone loves putting themselves in a group. I’m in a “birth trauma” group (FFS right?)  and can you believe it, a woman who’d had two traumatic births and then a decent one dared to complain that she didn’t feel welcome. That’s because you’re not, we hate you. Go and find a happier group.  

Mumpreneurs. They’ve got a group. I don’t really understand why, but everyone has a gang. They are mums but they want people to know they’re also businesswomen. OK.

Wah Wah Wah, my dad/ grandma/ baby/ dog/ houseplant died. It’s fucking sad, but join the club, if none of those have happened to you, your days are numbered…

I’m pretty sure if I only have one child I’ll be in a minority. Having no children seems even more rare. Is there a different gang for each number? I know someone with four children who sees themselves as an authority on child rearing. It’s an achievement for her. Is that right? I really respect people who choose not to have kids. It makes much more sense to me than having four. But that’s my gang isn’t it. 

People define themselves as a Mum, a City person, a vegetarian….

Some groups are bigger than others, which I reckon makes it easier. If you don’t know anyone else in your gang it kind of sucks. BUT you can bet if you’re in all the biggest groups you’re really boring :)

Last week I didn’t want to blog because I was definitely in the “never trust anyone” camp, as in, we’re all in different groups, I can’t associate with ANYone! But this week I’m more, “Hey, we’re all human!” (except you damn dirty apes)

It’s late, and I’m not sure how much sense this makes! But it makes sense to me… the grass is NOT always greener, the perfect life does not exist, happiness is subjective…
So, if you think something will make you happy, do it? Just be ready for it not to be an epiphany… 

Or “happiness is not having what you want, it’s wanting what you have”.  I can’t tell you who said that because I’ll snigger. 
Oh go on then, it was Rabbi Hyman apparently…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Liebster Award!

    The Liebster Award is for bloggers with fewer than 300 followers. A blogger nominates 11 fellow bloggers and asks them a set of 11 questions. The rules state that a nominee must link back to the blogger from whom they received a nomination. The nominee will write 11 random facts about themselves and then answer the 11 questions which have been set for them. They in turn will nominate another 11 bloggers and pose 11 questions to them. This is a really fun way to discover and connect with new bloggers and help us all gain some new followers along the way.   Lovely Hannah from Make, Do and Push has nominated me as one of her bloggers so I will do my best! Thanks Hannah! If you like crafting, and a slice of positivity to balance out the cynicism you hear from me (!) you should check out her blog. She is up to wedding planning too so is bound to have lots of ideas up her sleeve! OK, first of all, 11 random facts about me! Crikey that seems a lot! 1. I used to deliver mil

Now we are Five, and going to school!

I have no excuses, my blogging has totally dried up. I kept thinking of LOADS of ideas for blog posts, but didn't want to write because either nobody would read them, or because there are already a ton of "mummy bloggers" already doing it. Well, SCREW that. I love writing and talking shit, so I need to get it out, regardless! SO... Time has gone by and this little dumpling: has grown sooooooo much into this rather smart schoolgirl: And I'm sure I'm the same as every mother in that looking at those two photos makes me want to cry! She is a completely different person! Oh how I miss those chubby little cheeks and huge eyes! It seems like a world away, and also only yesterday. School has brought with it a whole new set of worries, achievements and well, confusion. I thought I'd know it all as a teacher, but nothing prepares you for THE OTHER SIDE.  When I was teaching and parents dropped their kids off at school and insi

Panda cardigan! Toddler jumper refashion

My little girl is nuts about most animals, but at the moment she is quite keen on pandas. It's bound to change by tomorrow. But she had an old black jumper which just seemed to be just waiting for a funeral, so it made me sad, and I had to turn it into something else... Here it is before.... Funeral anyone? OK, so I cut up the front to make it into a cardigan... I love this part - snip! Then stitched on some white lace (sticking with the black and white theme see...) and attached a big black button and popper on the back. Can I just say I did this in about 10 minutes so it's not my finest work! You've got to make sure the stitching catches all of the fiddly jumper edge so that it doesn't fray. OK, so that was the front. And I decided because it was a v-neck, the panda would have to go on the back as there was more space. Sooooo, then I cut some panda face shapes out of t-shirt material and stuck them on the back with bonda/wunda webby stuff. You COU